Wednesday 6 October 2010

So I've Discovered Twitter

This is the 8th sentence I've started this blog with. I'm sitting here and I pretty much know what I want to blog about. I know the very general concept, but it's taking a mighty hell of a time for me to be able to 'articulate' it well....*scream* so here goes...

So, I was in the generation of Hi5ers, my first social media experience, if that's what it's called. Then Facebook came along and I, like many others, jumped on the bandwagon while it was going full speed ahead. Hi5 became the place for the 'not cool' people. If you were not on Facebook, you weren't anybody...hmmm. Facebook sufficed for a very long time, years even. Then enter stage right, Twitter. For a very long time I heard about twitter. As far as I could tell, it was a place for people to give minute by minute, mundane details of their lives in 140 characters or less. Why would I want to hear who is on the toilet, or who is eating a Juici Patty right now. I could not for the life of me understand how such an idiotic thing could be so huge. I didn't actually know anyone on Twitter. I heard about it on celebrity news, who was tweeting that they were getting a tan right now etc., etc., BORING!

So years passed and then...all of a sudden this twitter thing started popping up on my side of the world. I kept seeing 'follow me on twitter' in people's Facebook statuses and on their walls. Still, I yawned and went about my business. But alas! Boredom one day took over as I sat at home on vacation leave with absolutely nothing to do. I thought, I'd try this thing out. Reluctantly, I downloaded the app to my Blackberry and voila, the new obsession began.

Twitter is waaaayyy more than mundane posts about what I am doing right now. It is in fact, the only way to keep up to date with anything worth knowing about in the ENTIRE WORLD. It's live, up-to-date, minute by minute, glimpses into different aspects of life. News, sports, gaming, gossip, celebrity news, politics, it's all there, comedy and of course those minute by minute details of your friends' lives all there in 140 characters or less. Basically, if you aren't on twitter, you don't really have a clue about what is going on in the world. Twitter kept me up to date with the Dudus saga and Tropical storm Nicole just recently. Every bit of news that comes on the radio or television, comes out on twitter first and in even greater detail.

Without twitter, I would be completely clueless about so much of what happens in my little neck of the woods. I would say 'what did i do before twitter?' but I already know; I knew nothing! I was completely in the dark and I didn't even realize how much information I was missing out on until I got on twitter. Now, it's my first port of call for any and everything. Believe me, you should try it. hey, if you don't like it, you can always delete your account. But, do you want to risk me being right? Tweet Tweet


2 comments:

Mad Bull said...

I like it, I use it sometimes, but knowing everything about stuff is not all that important sometimes, so sometimes I just let it be.

I am madbull4 on twitter. Follow me.

Keas said...

I dont need to know everything all the time but its nice to have info come to me so easily

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons